Is there a Back to the Chalkboard for Dummies?


After coming across this quote today, I realize how much truth this message holds. We live in a world controlled mainly by technology so much so that I feel if electricity did not exist everyone would short circuit like a computer. It is very important for a teacher to keep up with the times because the world is ever changing. What worked in the past may not necessarily work for the present and future in some cases. 

Besides, who can live without a SmartBoard in their classroom? Not me! In fact, there is not a lesson plan or day that goes by that the SmartBoard is not in use.  The excruciating sound of fingernails on a chalkboard are my most fondest memories of the dark green monster used by teachers in the past.  The messy chalk, the bucket of water filled with chalk dust, and the whirlwind of chalk grime from banging the erasers together makes me not so happy to have to return this ancient form. 

Unfortunately, this year I will be without a SmartBoard, and I am trying to figure out how I will survive. Is there a Back to the Chalkboard for Dummies book?  Is there a Chalkboard 101 class that I can take on-line?   How does one return to the chalkboard after six years of  keeping your students engaged through the wonderful resources technology offered? I will miss seeing my students eagerly run up to the SmartBoard to answer a question. I will miss the clicking, dragging, swiping, and writing with super cool pens. Most of all, I will miss using the large on-line stopwatch to keep my students on track and aware of their time on an assignment. I guess this means I have to go back to the old wind up timer that only the teacher can see on her desk. SmartBoard, I will miss thee. 

I know. I know. Many teachers around the world are still teaching without technology. I will survive, until I become extinct like the dinosaur for not using technology in my classroom. 



How do you feel about this quote?

Do you think the chalkboard will become extinct? 

How do you keep your class engaged without technology? 

Comments

Popular Posts