Don't Raise Your Hand, But You Can Pull the Sticks!

On the first day of every school year, my students always give me a puzzled look when I say, "Don't raise your hand to answer a question."  My school principal has encouraged teachers to use a Popsicle system to make sure all students are understanding, participating, and learning.  When I was in school, teachers always called on students who raised their hands.  Of course, that was then and this is now! 

Now I take my cute pink, purple, and lime green Chinese Food boxes from Michael's, and I write all my students names on colorful sticks from the Dollar Store, and when I ask a question, I pull from the sticks! It is amazing how most students are aware and listening for their name or praying deep down inside their mind that they don't get picked. I think this is an excellent idea in keeping students on their toes and focused during class. Additionally, it is another job added to the list because someone always wants to be the one to pull the sticks!  

Comments

Popular Posts